Hello friends! Today’s post has taken me a lot of research, and I’m so excited to share it with you guys! As you might have guessed it, we’re talking about the best drugstore foundations for oily skin!
Hello, my name is Britt and I have VERY oily skin.
It’s something that I’ve had my whole life, and only recently have I learned how to deal with, and which products to use.
I’m letting you guys in on ALL my secrets, so strap yourself in and grab a snack!
Before we talk about actual foundations, there’s a few things that effect whether or not a foundation will work for you.
- It doesn’t matter how good your foundation is (okay sometimes it does), it’s only as good as what you put it on. TAKE. CARE. OF. YOUR SKIN. Make sure you’re moisturizing it – yes, even if you have oily skin. And make sure you’re also exfoliating it too. It can be physical or chemical – put your best face forward by getting all that dead skin off!
- It’s all about that base! And by that, I mean primer. There are SO MANY primers out there, so it’s hard to choose the right one. I always use one that’s mattifying – it helps to create a nice smooth and matte canvas to apply the foundation to. I usually use something that’s pore-blurring as well, and I find it usually goes hand and hand with mattifying products.
- Ingredients! There are so many bad ingredients that go into our makeup and skincare, and usually we’re not away of how detrimental they can be. Anything that strips the skin of it’s natural oil, such as alcohol, is actually going to do the opposite thing you want it to do! While it immediately makes you skin matte, unfortunately, it’s something that won’t last. Here’s a really good article about which ingredients to avoid for reference. Also look for oil-free foundations – it’s an extra step that will help your makeup not look like an oil slick.
- Apply your foundation in layers! You can always apply more, and layer on where you need some more coverage. It’s way easier to add more foundation than to try and take it off.
- Don’t touch your face! This is a really hard one for me too, but it really does make a difference! Your fingers transfer oil and germs to your face, which can add more oil, and even create breakouts. And no one wants that!
- This one is just a helpful tip – but carry blotting papers! (These are my faves) They’re super convenient and make such a difference. If you don’t have those, cheap toilet paper also works in a pinch. Just remember to dab and not rub!
Okay, now that we’ve gotten that out of the way, here’s a list of the best drugstore foundations for oily skin:
When anyone mentions drugstore foundations for oily skin, this is the one I immediately think of! This is one of only two foundations that I’ve ever finished. Maybelline makes a bunch of foundations for various skin types, but I find that this is the best option for oily skin. It doesn’t feel heavy and cakey, it has good coverage, it has good wear time, and most drugstores carry Maybelline so it’s easily accessible.
I’m going to be honest, and say that I had a really big issue with this foundation. It oxidized so much on my skin that I couldn’t actually wear it out of the house. With that being said, it has a very nice formula, oxidization aside. It’s transfer proof so you don’t have to worry about getting it on your clothes, or your significant others! Additionally, it has a nice shade range with various undertones so there should be a shade for everyone.
This was the very first foundation that I finished a whole tube of. It’s like the OG drugstore matte foundation in my eyes! This foundation lasts all day long (up to 24 hours), and gives you great coverage. It’s oil free formula makes sure that you stay matte all day long.
This one is for you guys that aren’t a huge fan of a completely matte finish. Most foundations that are made for oily skin have a matte finish, but this one gives you a gorgeous satin finish that appears more skin-like. This is another greta foundation that allows you to customize your coverage, and it comes with a convenient doe-foot application to keep things clean. It also has SPF 20 in it to help protect your skin and keep it looking healthy!
This is the foundation you’re going to want to try if you want the best bang for your buck! The price point is super affordable, and the quality of the product isn’t compromised because of it! It’ll create the perfect canvas for your face, and stay on all day!
This recent release has quickly become a go-to favourite! It has lightweight coverage that is comfortable without feeling heavy, and it has 45 shades, so there’s bound to be one that suits your skin tone! It has a matte finish that will leave you oil free all day long.
If you’re not a fan of liquid foundations, don’t worry! Maybelline also has a great stick foundation for you. I like stick foundations when I want to customize my coverage! They’re so easy to use, and also great for on the go touch ups. It blends out wonderfully, and leaves your skin looking beautiful.
This powder really is a cult favourite in the beauty community! It’s a nice light-weight powder that leaves you looking matte and smooth. It has very light coverage – just enough to even out your skin tone. This foundation is awesome for touchups, and a great powder to carry around when you’re on the go!
Okay I swear this is the last Maybelline product on the list! They just make some really good foundations for oily skin. This is a great foundation for those no-makeup makeup days! I wouldn’t say it’s 100% full coverage, but it’s pretty good for a powder! I use this on a daily basis, on it’s own as a powder foundation, and to also set some liquid foundations.
There you have it, folks! Of course all of these foundations are not going to work with everyone, but i’d say it’s a really good start if you don’t know what to choose. Remember there are so many factors that effect whether or not a foundation works for your – it can be as simple as applying it with a sponge vs a brush, or changing your skincare routine a bit. But also remember that there are SO MANY options out there, and you’ll find the right one that works for you! And you should probably buy like 10 of them, just in case.
I’d like to do the same kind of post, but with higher end foundations, but that might take a while. It’s easy to justify buying a $12 foundation and it not working compared to a $50 foundation, right? But that’s why I made this list! I spent the money so you don’t have to.
If you have any recommendations for drugstore foundations for oily skin? If so leave me a comment because I’d love to hear what it is!
Until next time,
**Disclosure – Some of the links listed below are affiliate links. At no additional cost to you I may make a small amount if you so choose to purchase from these links. If you are not a fan of affiliate links, don’t worry! I’m here to share my favourite products regardless of if/how you buy them.**